Did you know that mouthwash can be used for several oral health benefits beyond simply being a way to freshen your breath? Although mouthwash really can give you fresh breath, using the therapeutic mouthwash can go even deeper and eliminate the bacteria responsible for causing foul odors that escape your oral cavity. By properly using mouthwash, you can experience several other to your oral health, including:
- There are two main forms of mouthwash: cosmetic mouthwash and therapeutic mouthwash. To access the most oral health benefits, stick with therapeutic mouthwash.
- Mouthwash is typically most effective after meals. Because brushing may be too abrasive at this time, you can help wash away debris and plaque buildup with mouthwash after eating.
- Mouthwash is effective because it can help rinse away bacteria and plaque buildup, both of which are responsible for dental erosion and cavities.
- Mouthwash has been proven to effectively reduce or prevent gingivitis.
- Some forms of mouthwash have substances to help remove stains and discolorations, ultimately whitening teeth.
For any further questions or concerns about how mouthwash can benefit your oral health, our team at Dr. Jim Kelly Dentistry is here to help. For specific recommendations or oral health care treatments, we invite you to contact us at 602-954-1901 and set up an appointment with Dr. Jim Kelly, our dentist in Phoenix, Arizona.