When thinking about their oral health and smile, many people only think about their teeth. But did you know that the health of your gums also play a major role in your oral and overall health? It’s true! Your gums offer several benefits to both your smile and oral health. If you want your gums to live up to their full potential, it is important that you properly care for them. To do that, you can:
- Brush your teeth and gums twice a day. This helps break up food particles that are stuck and feed bacteria. Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and not brushing aggressively helps prevent your gums from becoming irritated.
- Floss daily. Your toothbrush can only reach so far. Flossing gets in between the teeth and underneath the gumline – both of which are some of plaque’s favorite hiding places.
- Use mouth rinse. Regularly rinsing with a mouth rinse kills disease-causing bacteria and can help pull loose any remaining food particles that you may have missed.
- Keep your regular dental visits. Even with a thorough dental hygiene routine, you can still end up with plaque and bacteria on your teeth and gums. Professional cleanings helps remove these before they lead to gum disease and other dental issues.
- Don’t smoke. Using tobacco or smoking doubles your chances of developing gum disease. Smoking also leaves you with a dry mouth or sticky deposits, providing the perfect environment for plaque and bacteria to grow.
Healthy gums appear pink and firm, and they successfully hold your teeth in place. Healthy gums also don’t bleed easily or are swollen. By ensuring that your gums are in proper health, you can increase your chances of having a healthy smile for life.
For more information, we invite you to contact Dr. Jim Kelly Dentistry at 602-954-1901. Dr. Jim Kelly, our dentist in Phoenix, Arizona, is here to care for your gums.